Thursday 6 September 2012

Steak Salad

The original recipe from this came from Food & Drink Summer 2011.  It is their version of Carpaccio using leftover grilled steak instead of raw beef.  Personally I don't think I would try a raw beef salad so this worked quite well.  If available to you try some heirloom tomatoes.  They vary in colour and texture and have a superior taste to the usual store bought ones.  I have found Romano Cheese an inexpensive substitute for the Parmesan Cheese.  Use the best steak you can.  I have excellent luck with Costco steaks myself - but there is a butcher nearby I might try if I can ever find the time to go there.  The run of the mill 1/2 inch steaks from the grocery store just don't cut it for this recipe as the steak is the main component.  This is really an adult only dinner - make the kids a hamburger :)

1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp chopped drained capers
1 garlic clove, minced (I increased to 2)
1/4 tsp each salt and pepper (I leave out the salt)
2 medium tomatoes, preferably heirloom, sliced thinly
Thinly sliced leftover grilled steak, enough for 2
6 to 8 wide shaving Parmesan cheese (I used Romano - I think Goat Cheese or Feta would be good substitutes here)
1 small handful onion sprouts (OK I cannot find those anywhere - bean sprouts it is!)


  1. In a small bowl, whisk balsamic with oil, capers, garlic, salt and pepper.
  2. On 2 dinner plates, in a circle overlapping slightly, arrange tomato slices.
  3. Arrange steak slices on top of tomatoes, mounding slightly.  Follow with Parmesan shavings.  Arrange sprouts on top.  Drizzle with dressing.  Serve immediately.
Serves 2

No comments:

Post a Comment