Wednesday 5 September 2012

Pittsburgh Potatoes

I have no idea why these are called Pittsburgh Potatoes, but the recipe was fun!  I made some changes to reflect what I have available to me so I will give you the recipe and note what changes I made.

3/4 lb Muenster or other mild cheese, cut in chunks (I used Havarti and used about 400g)
1 can (13oz) evaporated milk
2 tbsp butter
1 small onion, grated
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp dry mustard
1/8 tsp pepper
Dash of hot pepper sauce
1 egg
4 cups 1/2 inch cubed potatoes, cooked
1 jar pimentos cut in 1 inch strips (I used pickled peppers)

In medium saucepan combine cheese, milk, butter, onion, salt, mustard, pepper and pepper sauce.  Stir over medium heat until cheese melts, Remove from heat; briskly stir in egg.  Combine potatoes and pimentos in greased 1 1/2 quart casserole; pour on sauce.  Bake in 350 oven 25 minutes or until bubbly.  Garnish with pimento.  Makes 8 servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment