1.125 kg medium size potatoes, skin on
1/4 cup olive oil
1 tbsp coriander
1 cup dry red wine
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper
1/2 cup chopped fresh herbs such as thyme, basil, parsley or fresh coriander
- Using smooth side of a kitchen mallet, crack the potatoes so there are cracks, but potato is still fully intact.
- Heat oil in a large deep frying pan over medium heat. Add potatoes in a single layer. Turn potatoes for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown on all sides.
- Sprinkle with coriander, cook 1 to 2 minutes or until fragrant. Pour over wine and sprinkle with salt and pepper; cover.
- Reduce heat so potatoes simmer for 20 to 30 minutes or until much of the wine has evaporated and potatoes are tender when pierced.
- Pile potatoes into serving dish; sprinkle with herbs. Pour pan juices into a deep small dish. Use a tine spoon to drizzle just a bit over each potato when split open.
Makes 4 to 6 servings.