1.125 kg russet potatoes, about 4 large
1/4 cup olive oil
3 large garlic cloves, crushed but intact
1 tbsp salt
1/3 cup malt vinegar
- Scrub potatoes and prick in several places with a skewer. Arrange in a a circle in microwave; microwave 10 minutes, turning once. or until a skewer can be easily inserted but encounters some resistance. Cool until able to handle.
- Cut potatoes lengthwise so the halves are as flat as possible. Using a sharp knife, score about 1/2 inch deep in a criss cross pattern about the same distance apart. Do not slash skins. Place in a glass or ceramic dish just large enough to hold them in a single layer. (do not use a metal pan).
- Microwave olive oil and garlic for 25 to 30 seconds or until hot. In another container, add salt to vinegar; microwave 20 seconds or until hot. Stir to dissolve salt; then mix oil and vinegar together.
- Lightly brush oil and vinegar mixture over potato slits. Grill over low to moderate barbecue heat, starting skin side down for 5 minutes. Brush slits again; immediately return to grill slit side down. Grill another five minutes. Continue brushing slits with more oil mixture as needed for another 5 minutes or until potatoes are golden brown. Brush again before serving.
- Sprinkle potatoes with pinches of coarse salt. SErve right away with grilled steaks, chops or chicken.