Cooking time: 15 minutes
Baking time: 40 minutes
makes: 10 servings
8 lasagna noodles (not oven ready noodles)
1 tbsp olive oil
2 crushed garlic cloves
1 onion, finely chopped
1 red or green sweet pepper, cored, seeded and finely chopped
1 1/2 cups spicy salsa
1 1/2 cups spaghetti sauce
1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
475 g container ricotta cheese
1/4 cup chopped coriander or italian parsley
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
1 1/2 cups grated Monterey Jack cheese
1 1/2 cups grated mozzarella cheese
4 cups cooked cubed chicken
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a full rolling boil. Add lasagna noodles and boil, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until al dente. Check recommended cooking time on package; they usually take about 12 to 14 minutes. Drain well and rinse under cold water. Lay drained wet pasta in a single layer on a piece of waxed paper. Cover with another piece of waxed paper.
- Meanwhile, to prepare sauce, heat oil in a large wide frying pan set over medium low heat. Add garlic, onion and sweet pepper. Saute until onion is soft, about 5 minutes. Then, stir in salsa, spaghetti sauce and cumin. Taste and add more cumin, if necessary. Increase heat to medium high and bring mixture to a boil. Then cover, reduce heat to low and simmer to allow flavours to develop, about 5 to 7 minutes. Turn sauce into a bowl and set aside.
- To prepare filling, place ricotta, eggs, chopped coriander and jalapeno pepper in a food processor fitted with a metal blade. Whirl until mixture is evenly blended. Scrape down sides of bowls occasionally to ensure an even puree. Turn filling into a bowl and set aside. Or combine ingredients in a bowl and mash with a spoon until smooth.
- Stir grated cheese together in a small bowl and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375F. Lightly cover bottom of a 9 x 13 inch baking dish with about 1/2 cup of sauce. (It will be a very thin coating of sauce.) Completely cover bottom of pan with a single layer of noodles, about 4 noodles. Spread half of sauce evenly over noodles, then dot with half of ricotta mixture, followed by half of chicken then half of grated cheese.
- Add another layer of noodles. Repeat layering ending with cheese. Then bake, uncovered, in centre of preheated oven for 35 to 40 minutes or until lasagna bubbles around sides and top is golden. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting.