625 g large shrimp, peeled and deveined, thawed if frozen, rinsed and patted very dry
1/4 cup vodka, regular or lemon flavoured
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
2 cups store bought bag coleslaw mix
2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 tbsp lemon juice
14 tsp each salt and pepper
About 8 cups vegetable or canola oil for frying
4 tsp each dried oregano and thyme leaves
1 1/2 tsp each garlic powder and cayenne pepper
1 tsp salt
1/4 cup all purpose flour
1 cup panko bread crumbs
2 garlic cloves, crushed in a press
2 tbsp lemon juice
1/3 cup mayonnaise
1 baguette, about 20 inches long
1 tomato, thinly sliced
- Place shrimp in a bowl just large enough to hold them. Finely grate about 1 tbsp lemon peel overtop, then squeeze out 2 tbsp lemon juice. Stir with shrimp along with vodka and cayenne. Cover and marinate, stirring occasionally for 2 hours.
- Meanwhile, place coleslaw in a medium bowl. Toss with oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
- In a very large deep sided pot, add enough oil to measure about 1 1/2 inches. Oil should not come higher than a third of the way up the pot (or use a deep fryer and follow directions). Heat oil over medium heat to 350F.
- Drain shrimp, placing marinade in a medium bowl. Whisk egg into marinade. In a small bowl, place flour. In another medium bowl place panko crumbs. Stir 1 tbsp spice mixture into flour and remaining into panko crumbs. Toss shrimp in flour mixture to coat. Then, working with a few shrimp at a time, dip in egg mixture, shaking off excess. Then coat in panko crumbs. Place coated shrimp on a baking sheet. Repeat with remaining shrimp.
- Once oil is hot (it will bubble when shrimp are added), add one third to one half of the shrimp to pan (don’t crowd). Fry, stirring occasionally until cooked through and a very deep golden brown, about 3 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon to a paper towel lined baking sheet. Repeat with remaining shrimp.
- Stir garlic and lemon juice into mayonnaise. Split baguette in half lengthwise, keeping one side still attached. Spread both sides with aioli. Top base with tomato slices, followed by shrimp, slaw and then top of baguette. Serve on a large cutting board for guests to slice themselves, or cut into serving size pieces. Serve with hot sauce and lots of napkins.
Serves 4 to 6