1 1/2 cups cake and pastry flour
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 large eggs at room temperature
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup milk at room temperature
6 oz dark unsweetened chocolate
1/4 cup unsalted butter
1/2 cup hot water
1/4 tsp salt
1 tbsp vanilla extract
4 cups icing sugar sifted
- Heat oven to 350F. Butter two 9 inch round cake pans and line bottoms with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Sift together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- In a large bowl, beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 4 minutes.
- Add 1 egg at a time and beat until well incorporated. Beat in vanilla. Add half the flour mixture to the bowl and stir together with a large spoon; stir in milk, stir in second half of the flour. Stir until all is well combined but do not overstir.
- Divide the batter evenly between the 2 pans and bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean.
- Leave cakes in pans for 10 minutes before removing onto a cooling rack. Let cool completely and remove parchment paper before frosting the cake.
- For frosting, melt chocolate in a bain-mrie over low heat. Once chocolate has melted add butter and stir until butter melts and is combined with the chocolate. Take off the heat and whisk in hot water, salt and vanilla.
- Place chocolate mixture in a large bowl and gradually beat in icing sugar. The frosting may need more or less than the 4 cups to achieve the proper consistency.
- Set frosting aside until ready to use. If needed, place in the refrigerator to harden it slightly; this will make it easier to work with. If it becomes too hard, microwave for a few seconds.
- Place 1 layer of cake on platter and cover the top completely and generously with frosting. Top with second layer and continue frosting the entire cake with as much frosting as desired.