1 kg salmon fillet on the skin
1/4 cup mirin
1/4 cup rice wine
2 tbsp light soy sauce
2 tbsp wasabi paste
2 tsp chopped ginger
1/2 tsp sugar
Salt and freshly ground pepper (I skipped the salt)
1 cup mayonnaise
2 tbsp pickled ginger, chopped
- Soak a plank in water for 1 hour
- Place salmon in a dish or bag. Combine mirin, rice wine, soy sauce, wasabi, ginger and sugar. Pour over salmon and leave to marinate for 30 minutes.
- Preheat grill to high.
- Place plank on hot grill and let smoke, 3 to 4 minutes. Turn over before placing fish on plank.
- Remove salmon from marinade, reserving marinade, and season with salt and pepper. Place salmon on plank, skin side down, and grill for 15 to 20 minutes or until white juices begin to appear. The salmon should be slightly pink in the centre.
- For mayonnaise, place reserved marinade in a skillet and bring to boil. Boil until reduced to about 2 tbsp, about 8 to 10 minutes. Strain liquid and combine with mayonnaise and pickled ginger.
- Remove salmon to serving platter and serve sauce on the side.