Sunday 24 February 2013

Onions

My kitchen is rarely without onions and the smell of cooking onions is one of the most inviting aromas that I know.  Even my flower garden has a version of an onion in my Purple Allium.  Onions in my kitchen typically range from the basic cooking onion and green onion to the Red Onion, Spanish Onion, chives, garlic and shallots.  There is a wide variety of onions available and most meals will benefit from this versatile root.

Here is some information I found that may help you decide which onion to use.

COOKING ONIONS
These have a strong flavour and can be a bit dry….and they definitely make me cry.  They store well, are relatively inexpensive and excel in stews, soups and any dish where you want them for flavouring.  Add the skins to a stock to make the broth more golden in colour.

SPANISH ONIONS
Spanish Onions are large, round and contain more water than a cooking onion.  These onions are also much sweeter.  They have a shorter shelf life and a much milder flavour.  These are great for roasting…and make a great onion ring.

VIDALIA ONIONS
These onions are round with flattened tops.  They are sweet and have a high water content.  They are great in salads and caramelize well because of their high sugar content.

RED ONIONS
These have great colour and flavour in a salad, but be careful because they can sometimes have a strong sharp taste.  I use these on the grill as well - but be careful not to overcook as they can lose their flavour.



No comments:

Post a Comment