Monday 8 October 2012

Panforte

I almost didn't make this traditional Italian candy as I wasn't sure I would like.  I am so glad I tried it.  It was absolutely delicious and very easy to do.  I am not a big fan of Sambuca so instead of buying a new bottle of it (white) I just used some of what I had (black).  This is a great candy to give at Christmas. From Food and Drink 2000

3/4 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup honey
1/4 cup Sambuca
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1 tbsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground coriander
1/2 tsp ground cardamom
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
2 cups dried cranberries
1 cup chopped hazelnuts
1 cup slivered almonds
2 tbsp grated orange rind


  1. Preheat oven to 325F.  Oil an 8 x 10 inch pan and line with greased parchment paper.
  2. Combine sugar, honey and Sambuca in large, heavy pot.  Bring to boil on high heat and boil for 5 to 6 minutes or until the mixture forms a soft ball when dropped into cold water.  A sugar thermometer will reach 238F.
  3. Mix remaining ingredients in a bowl and pour hot syrup over.  Mix well to combine.  Pour mixture into prepared pan and smooth top.  It should be about 3/4 inch thick.
  4. Bake for 35 minutes or until mixture is set but slightly soft.  Cool, remove from pan, peel off parchment paper and cut into 1 inch squares with a serrated knife.

No comments:

Post a Comment