Monday 11 August 2014

Lamb and Halloumi Pizza

This is a nice change from the regular pizza.  If you can't find Halloumi cheese Feta is a good substitute.  I used fresh lemon thyme and orange mint from my garden to give a slight citrus flavour to the recipe but any thyme and mint will work.  This is the first time I used ground sumac and was warned by the cashier at the bulk food store that I might not like it.  I must say that I did enjoy it.  I have been using more Middle Eastern spices lately though so perhaps I am a bit more adventurous with my spices than most.  I based this recipe from a Food and Drink original but have made a few changes to suit my palate.

1 tbsp minced fresh thyme
1 tbsp toasted almonds, chopped finely
1 tsp ground sumac
2 tbsp olive oil, divided
450 g lean ground lamb
2 Naan Bread
1 cup crumbled halloumi
1/4 cup fresh torn mint


  1. Preheat oven to 450F.
  2. In a bowl, combine thyme, almonds and sumac until well blended.  Set aside.
  3. In a large skillet, heat 1 tbsp of the olive oil over medium high heat.  Brown lamb breaking up with the back of a spoon, until no longer pink.  Stir in spices.
  4. Place Naan Bread on a rimmed baking sheet.  Spread lamb mixture evenly over lavash.  Sprinkle with halloumi.  Bake in the centre of the preheated oven until Naan Bread starts to brown and halloumi melts slightly, about 15 minutes.
  5. Drizzle with remaining olive oil and top with fresh mint leaves.

No comments:

Post a Comment