Thursday 8 May 2014

Bradford Vegetable Soup

My kids will like this one!  I used to make this for the holidays as a starter to the turkey/ham…it has always been a favourite.  I will give you the original recipe but will say that I have changed it now by not adding the cream to the pot.  I got a small 5% cream and just put a dash of it in the individual serving bowl.  I also added some Parmesan Cheese on the top.


1/2 cup butter
1 1/2 cups chopped onions
1 1/2 cups chopped leeks white and light green parts
3 cups chopped celery
3 cups diced carrots
10 cups chicken stock
1/2 cup long grain rice
freshly ground pepper
2 cups light cream
1/2 finely chopped green onion tops or chives
2 tbsp butter


In large saucepan melt 1/2 cup butter over medium low heat.  Add onions, leeks, celery and carrots and cook stirring frequently about 8 to 10 min.

Pour in stock and rice.  Bring to a boil and season with pepper.  Reduce heat.  Simmer uncovered until vegetables are tender and rice is cooked 20 - 30 min.

Add cream, heat through and taste for seasoning.  Just before serving stir in green onions and swirl in remaining butter.

No comments:

Post a Comment