Thursday 27 March 2014

Fruit and Almond Couscous

I was a little doubtful of this recipe when I first tried it but I am so glad that I made it.  The dried apricots and almonds really add to the flavour of this dish.  I couldn't find whole wheat couscous so I just used regular couscous.  I don't know if there is much of a difference.  From Fresh Juice Magazine.


1 cup whole wheat couscous
2 tbsp olive oil, divided
Half red onion, peeled and chopped
1 1/2 cups salt reduced chicken broth
1/4 cup parsley
1/4 cup cilantro or mint
1/4 cup thinly sliced dried apricots
1/4 cup dried cranberries
2 green onions, chopped
Zest of half lemon
2 tbsp lemon juice
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 cup chopped toasted almonds


  1. Place couscous in large bowl, set aside.
  2. In medium saucepan over medium, heat 2 tsp of the oil; add onion.  Cover and cook, stirring until onion is softened, about 4 minutes.  Add broth, increase heat and bring to a boil.
  3. Remove from heat and pour over couscous.  Cover and let stand for 5 minutes; fluff with fork.
  4. Chop parsley and cilantro until finely chopped and add to couscous.  Stir in remaining oil, apricots, cranberries, green onion, lemon zest and juice and salt.  Sprinkle with almonds; toss until evenly mixed.

No comments:

Post a Comment