Friday 14 March 2014

Baked Nutty Berry French Toast

This is one of the best French Toasts I have eaten.  I will say that my kids were too picky to eat it…but that just left more for my husband and me.  I added some hazelnuts to the pecans as I didn't have quite enough and I thought it was a good mix.  Walnuts would work well also.  I used fresh berries instead of frozen, I think they are worth the extra cost.  Make sure you use a good bread, either home baked or a bakery one.  I used a ceramic dish and had to add about 10 minutes cooking time.  From the Milk Calendar 2014.


6 thick slices bread (about 3/4 inch) preferably whole wheat
4 eggs
3/4 cup packed brown sugar, divided
1/4 tsp each ground nutmeg and cinnamon
2 cups milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup chopped pecans
1/4 cup butter, melted
4 cups mixed berries (thawed and drained if frozen)


  1. Butter a 13 x 9 inch glass backing dish.  Arrange bread in single layer in dish.
  2. In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, 1/2 cup of the sugar, nutmeg and cinnamon until blended; whisk in milk and vanilla.  Pour evenly over bread.  Cover and refrigerate for at least 6 hours or overnight.  
  3. Preheat oven to 400F.
  4. In a small bowl, combine remaining 1/4 cup sugar, pecans and melted butter.  Spread berries evenly over bread mixture; sprinkle with pecan mixture. 
  5. Bake for 35 to 40 min or until bread is puffed in the centre and fruit is bubbling.

No comments:

Post a Comment