Friday 4 October 2013

Spinach and Shrimp Soup

I almost didn't make this one… it just doesn't sound appetizing does it.  I got this recipe from Food and Drink Winter 2000…wow that is already 13 years ago..I really need to get rid of these magazines.  So while considering not making the recipe I looked and the ingredient list and it intrigued me, also my husband and I went to Jamaica a year ago and I love the food and of course the people, so I thought I would give this one a try.  This is a Jamaican recipe and in Jamaican cooking the whole Scotch Bonnet Pepper is often used to add a more subtle heat.  Jalapeno peppers may be substituted.  I loved the flavour of this recipe.  You must try it!

2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 onion, chopped
3 green onions, chopped
1 tbsp chopped garlic
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1/2 tsp ground allspice
1 whole Scotch Bonnet Pepper
4 cups chicken broth
1 bunch spinach, cleaned and sliced
1/2 cup coconut milk
250 g peeled shrimp
1 tbsp lime juice or to taste
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste


  • Heat vegetable oil in a large soup pot on medium high heat.  Add onions.  Saute for 3 miutes or until onions soften slightly.
  • Add green onions, garlic, thme, allspice, and Scotch bonnet pepper.  Saute for 1 more minute.  Add broth and bring to boil.  Add spinach and coconut milk.  Reduce heat and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes or until spinach is limp.  Remove pepper and discard.
  • Add shrimp and cook for another 2 minutes or until pink and curled.  Add lime juice season well with salt and pepper.
Serves 6


No comments:

Post a Comment