Monday 7 October 2013

Lemon Balm Shortbread

This is another recipe that I almost didn't do.  I just wasn't sure about herbs in my shortbread.  I could not find lemon balm in my little town so I had to go with Rosemary, which worked out beautifully! I did not dip in the coarse sugar. From Food and Drink Summer 2011.

1 cup unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1/8 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups all purpose flour (spooned in and levelled off)
2 tbsp minced lemon balm or rosemary
Coarse sugar for decorating


  1. Cream butter, sugar and salt together with an electric mixer.  Add vanilla and beat until combined.  Add flour and lemon balm and beat until just incorporated.  Knead lightly to bring into a ball.  Chill until firm enough to work with, about 20 minutes.
  2. Preheat oven to 300F.
  3. Roll out dough onto a lightly floured surface to about 1/4 inch thick.  Using a ruler and the point of a knife, cut dough into 1 1/2 inch squares.  Place on a parchment lined baking sheet; prick each cookie with a fork.  Chill again until cookies are firm.
  4. Bake cookies for 20 minutes or until lightly golden at the edges.  While cookies are still warm, dip half of the cookie into coarse sugar to coat.  Let cool completely.
Makes about 30 cookies

No comments:

Post a Comment