Sunday 11 June 2023

Shortbread Cookies

 


These are similar to the thumbprint cookies I have made in the past. It is a great basic shortbread recipe that is easy to alter.  Just change up the jam flavour or put chocolate instead of jam in the centre.  Maybe even peanut butter or almond butter.  Use your imagination.  I have been going through Magnus Nilsson's book "The Nordic Baking Book" and this is where this recipe came from.  I used Apricot jam this time.  I feel like I could have added an egg to this recipe. I use a weight scale to measure my ingredients.








4 cups plus 2 tbsp plain all purpose flour (I always buy the unbleached)
1 tbsp baking powder
1 cup plus 1 1/2 tbsp sugar
300g/11oz butter at room temperature
2 eggs at room temperature
your choice jam

Preheat the oven to 400F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.  (I use stoneware which takes a little longer to bake but I like the result).

Whisk together all dry ingredients and add butter.  Knead with hands in a bowl until well mixed.  Lightly beat the eggs and add them to the mixture and work until smooth, taking care not to overwork the dough.

Shape the dough into 20 little balls with your hands and place on the prepared baking sheet.  Make an indentation in each one (use your finger or the end of a wooden spoon).  Fill the indentation with jam.



Bake in oven for about 10 minutes or until golden brown.  


No comments:

Post a Comment